Principal Engineer (London)
At AND, we accelerate the development of digital capabilities. In practice, that means helping ambitious leaders and organisations build the teams, products, processes and even operational structures they need to close the digital skills gap within their organisation today, so that they thrive tomorrow.
Clients rely on our experience, agility and craft skills across tech and business strategy, software development and product management to address some of the toughest challenges facing their businesses.
We bring aboard thinkers, tinkerers, passionate software craftspeople and inspiring technologists to help us solve these challenges. Together, we’re united by a sense of pragmatism, purpose and a deeply-held belief that digital products and technology alone won’t transform a business or save the world: it’s the people that count.
As a Principal Engineer for a club of over 80 people (approx. 30-40 developers of all experience levels from Associate to Technical Lead), you will spend the majority of your time helping build our technical capabilities, growing our technologists and influencing technical direction, both within AND and for our clients. As a result, you will need to be able to:
Lead with growing our technologists;
- As part of the Club’s operational team, you will lead the engineering and development thinking for your club, ensuring that this aligns with the Club Executive’s strategy, overarching business strategy, and client needs.
- Be a role model for the Technical Leads across the business, mentoring senior and high-potential developers in your club, helping them grow into the next generation of technology leaders.
- Building close relationships with developers in your Club, understand their needs and the challenges they are facing on client engagements.
- Helping to curate technical training content both for the Club and the AND Academy.
- Guiding and supporting the acquisition or improvement of technical skills for the junior to senior developers in your Club, during their time in internal projects between client assignments.
- Defining coding standards and ensure they are followed during client assignment.
- Provide technical oversight for client work on the Club’s most challenging engineering activities, working alongside the Club’s Product Developers and Technical Leads
- Enabling and supporting an inclusive and diverse technology culture in your Club, and supporting these values on our client engagements, including building this culture onsite directly with clients and their incumbent technologists.
- Representing developers at the Progression & Performance events to bring a tech perspective on their performance
Influence technical direction
- Engaging actively with the other Lead Engineers, established and facilitated by the Chief Engineer, across all AND clubs to help drive the company’s technical insight, presence, vision and direction.
- Supporting club in setting up engagements for success, ensuring that technical direction and choices are appropriate for clients’ needs, (providing technical oversight during discovery) and supporting the project resourcing during discovery phase
- Champion and uphold high technical quality standards.
- Representing developers in company functions, including hiring, and within our client acquisition to support growth and academy teams.
- Collaborating with the Technologists of the Consulting team to establish AND’s tech proposition and develop Thought Leadership.
Have excellent technology and leadership expertise:
- Wide experience of pragmatic, hands-on technical delivery of enterprise-scale projects across the full SDLC.
- Deep understanding and extensive track record of delivering complex technical solutions using Agile methods including Scrum, SAFe etc.
- Hands-on experience of modern software delivery, including XP, TDD, CI/CD and DevOps practices.
- A keen understanding of industry best-practice around standards, quality and continuous improvement.
- Proven leadership of teams and teams of teams; extensive client-facing experience is expected.
- Consultancy experience across a number of sectors is a bonus.
- This is not a hands-on role but current coding, cloud or other technical skills are required.
It’s helpful if you also have:
- Experience in coaching and providing career progression to senior developers and tech leads, supporting highly experienced developers create exciting and inspiring career ambitions.
- The ability to Support and enable developer communities, helping them have purpose and influence on company policy and approach.
- Awareness to think about technology strategically, creating flexible and robust plans for investment and change, and communicating these effectively.
- Experience working with managers to deliver complex and sensitive technical messages/solutions upwards and across teams
- Experience of managing technologists across multiple teams to ensure they are working toward a holistic vision/goal
- As an added bonus, you may be a well established figure in your field; perhaps you are a recognised conference speaker or tech blogger/writer, are an industry expert in a specialist field, or have contributed to open source projects or charitable technical projects (like TuringLabs etc.).
From the work we deliver, to the way we serve and support our people, we work hard to ensure that there’s nowhere quite like AND. But joining a company is a two-way street: the fit has to work on both sides. So before you apply, here’s three key things to understand about us:
- We’re built for people - like, real humans. Not ‘resources’ or ‘staff’. That means happiness and wellbeing really do matter to us, and we hate unnecessary hierarchy and bureaucracy.
- There’s no well-trodden path ahead: AND is growing fast and forging a new trail. That’s exciting, and gives us all the autonomy and opportunity we love - but bear in mind it also demands focus, patience and resilience.
- Diversity is a priority. After all, to build great products that a wide variety of different people love to use, we need a wide variety of people to help us build them. So diversity is more than a policy or a word: it’s business critical for us.
Still sound good? Great! Fill out the short application form below and we’ll be in touch.