DevOps Lead (Reading)
At AND, we accelerate the development of digital capabilities. In practice, that means helping ambitious leaders and organisations build the teams, products, processes and even operational structures they need to close the digital skills gap within their organisation today, so that they thrive tomorrow.
Clients rely on our experience, agility and craft skills across tech and business strategy, software development and product management to address some of the toughest challenges facing their businesses.
We bring aboard thinkers, tinkerers, passionate software craftspeople and inspiring technologists to help us solve these challenges. Together, we’re united by a sense of pragmatism, purpose and a deeply-held belief that digital products and technology alone won’t transform a business or save the world: it’s the people that count.
As a DevOps Lead, you will be client facing (fee earning), delivery role with a mix of advising and implementing. As a result, you will need to be able to:
- You will be our ambassador and advisor to clients on operational requirements, advising and influencing
- You will also act as the champion of continuous development for our client development teams, collaborating with them and providing coaching
- You will also be expected to inspire and engage more junior engineers within your club to build their capability and understanding of DevOps and Engineering best practises, to they are enabled to implement better ways of working on the ground
- You’ll engage closely with the client technology teams to review current processes and technology, before making your recommendation and making it happen!
- You will manage the way forward from there:
- Build, improve and maintain our tools for continuous build, automated testing and release management
- Work to maintain and improve stability and performance of the infrastructure for clients (and some internal projects)
- Work closely with the client development teams to automate, refine and improve processes
- Keep up to date on the latest industry trends and openly shares ideas
- Ensure the necessary environments are in place for the product being delivered (virtual and physical) to support all layers - Dev, QA, Stage, Pre-Production, Live, including the data and integration of external applications.
To do that, it’s essential you bring the following:
- Previous experience in a DevOps and developer roles in an agile context
- Expertise in Continuous Integration, Continuous Delivery and Continuous Deployment
- A passion for technology and a love of writing code with a desire to build elegant solutions
- Understanding of system administration tasks on some of the following;
- Operating systems (e.g. Linux, CoreOS and Windows)
- Application stacks (e.g. nginx, Apache, Tomcat, JBoss, Websphere, Hybris, IIS, .Net, Node.js, Solr)
- RDBMS (e.g. PostgreSQL, MySQL, Oracle, MS SQL)
- NoSQL (e.g. MongoDB, Cassandra, Riak)
- Containerisation and microservices (e.g. Docker, rkt)
- IaaS and PaaS (e.g. AWS, Openstack, Deis, Kubernetes, Mesos, Rancher)
- Experience of configuration management tools such as Ansible, Chef, Puppet
- Experience of implementing Infrastructure as Code
- Experience configuring and working with monitoring tools (e.g. Newrelic, Sensu, Icinga, Nagios, Zabbix, Unicentre)
It’s helpful if you also have:
- Knowledge of networking (TCP/IP, DNS)
- Experience creating and working with development pipelines using tools such as Git, Jenkins, TFS, Sonarqube, GoCD, Maven, Ant, NPM, Artifactory
- Proven experience managing Agile development environments and implementing DevOps best practices and methodologies
- Experience in coaching and mentoring your colleagues and peers
- Experience of and strong stakeholder management skills in leading collaboration between IT operations and digital delivery teams
- You will be able to leverage your experience from a professional services / client facing environment
- Be equally comfortable working with one or multiple clients
- Strong project management skills
- To approach DevOps practices in new and creative way
From the work we deliver, to the way we serve and support our people, we work hard to ensure that there’s nowhere quite like AND. But joining a company is a two-way street: the fit has to work on both sides. So before you apply, here’s three key things to understand about us:
- We’re built for people - like, real humans. Not ‘resources’ or ‘staff’. That means happiness and wellbeing really do matter to us, and we hate unnecessary hierarchy and bureaucracy.
- There’s no well-trodden path ahead: AND is growing fast and forging a new trail. That’s exciting, and gives us all the autonomy and opportunity we love - but bear in mind it also demands focus, patience and resilience.
- Diversity is a priority. After all, to build great products that a wide variety of different people love to use, we need a wide variety of people to help us build them. So diversity is more than a policy or a word: it’s business critical for us.
Still sound good? Great! Fill out the short application form below and we’ll be in touch.