Through the Keyhole #30 – Lending A Helping ‘AND To Seniors In Technology
19 August 2016 |
Harbinder Uppal | About a 2 minute read
As part of the endeavours of our CRS initiative Helping ‘AND, we look at how technology effects our local community. Digital exclusion is an area of particular importance, especially for those at 65+.
Digital services has become the default option for accessing information in all areas of our lives, so being digitally capable is becoming vital. However, for seniors who did not grow up in a time where technology was as essential as it is today, it is becoming more isolating for them. It’s therefore crucial these seniors start to embrace technology in the same way millennials are to ensure they can access the information and services around them.
Knowing that this is an issue, we contacted our local ‘Help The Aged’ office to address it. So, earlier this summer we invited 16 senior guests to our offices for a ‘Tea and Tech’ session. Our friends enjoyed a morning of social interaction and learning about how technology can help them in their daily lives. We looked at the top 10 uses of the internet for the over 65’s and designed a resource guide for them to take home. We paired each of our ANDis with a senior to take them through the guides. Most of our guests bought in their own devices so we could make this applicable to their individual needs.
We thoroughly enjoyed the session and judging by the feedback, our guests did too. Here is how we made a difference:
• We spread the word to 10 different boroughs across London
• All of our guests are involved in at least one local group or organisation which means that the learnings from our session will be cascaded right across the capital
• We addressed the issue of loneliness; not only by inviting them to our offices to meet others, but to help them get in touch with others on social media.
• All 16 guests said the sessions had increased their confidence and understanding of social media. Many are now successfully connecting with family and friends abroad!
• All of our guests said the support given on the day had made a difference to their understanding of technology
We are really proud to live our company values through our ‘Helping ‘AND’ initiative by sharing our expertise and delighting the community!Read More From This Author
Graduate Developer (Halifax)
As a Graduate Developer at AND Digital, you will never stop learning! Roles in HalifaxI'm Interested
Digital Transformation People Consultant
The Digital Transformation - People Consultant is an integral member of the Consulting team, helping our clients accelerate their digital journey through designing and enabling the right operating models, organisation structures, ways of working, governance processes and cultural transition required.I'm Interested