Through the keyhole #009: Company values, not just lip service
4 March 2016 |
Harbinder Uppal | About a 2 minute read
The Harvard Business review recently described the workplace of dreams in a nutshell:
“It’s a company where individual differences are nurtured; information is not suppressed or spun; the company adds value to employees, rather than merely extracting it from them; the organisation stands for something meaningful; the work itself is intrinsically rewarding; and there are no stupid rules.”
We believe we have these principles covered. Our core values were determined from the outset and the business model was built around them. It is the case that small companies rarely do this.
Wonder, Share, Delight
These values are at the heart of our business. In fact, we have roles for people to cement these values; our Chief Happiness Officer and Responsibility Lead were recruited from the beginning to ensure our people are happy and we act responsibly as a business. Some of the areas in which we support our people so they can continue to live our values are as follows:
1. Enabling our people’s passion about technology and innovation to be encouraged – be it through debating about the best tech on the market, to sharing the hottest digital events to participate in, our Slack channel and regular social sessions are the perfect forum for that.
2. We continually seek to improve ourselves and ensure our work is meaningful and challenging for our people. By having constant contact with our people out on client site, we ensure we are monitoring the satisfaction with the work they are scheduled on.
3. We continue to respect our people by only having policies if needed. Afterall, no one likes unnescessary rules and policies.
4. Our weekly business updates keep people abreast of what is happening around the different client sites and back in the office. We even record it on video, so anyone can catch up at at their convenience. This isn’t just the good news, but also the things that don’t go so well because we are on this journey together. We are all on the same mission to build a remarkable company. The humorous videos make for a nice coffee break!
5. Our commitment to our people isn’t just lip service. We have a wellness programme in place which was designed around what our people wanted; from regular on site massages to a monthly fitbit challenge.
6. Our Chief Happiness Officer takes regular pulse checks to ensure we are living by our values so we continue to build our business just as it was intended; a remarkable place to work.Read More From This Author
Onboarding Co-ordinator (London)
Play a key role in inducting all our new starters through AND’s award winning onboarding experience!I'm Interested
Graduate Developer (Edinburgh)
Kickstart your career in tech, building innovative web applications and software solutions with the latest technology and Agile development methodologies.I'm Interested
Tech Lead (Edinburgh)
Bring your expert tech knowledge to the table to influence the direction of projects, whilst coaching and your team through engineering best practices.I'm Interested